Last night, AACTA President Geoffrey Rush was joined on stage by internationally acclaimed Australian actors including Cate Blanchett, Russell Crowe, Mia Wasikowska, Jonathan and Anthony LaPaglia, Jacki Weaver and Rachael Taylor to honour the year’s best achievements in Australian film and television at the inaugural Samsung AACTA Awards Ceremony, held at the Sydney Opera House.
The Ceremony also featured some of the most popular names in Australian entertainment, including performances by Olivia Newton-John, Tim Rogers and Megan Washington.
Winners announced at the Samsung AACTA Awards Ceremony are as follows:
AACTA Award for Best YOUNG ACTOR
- Lara Robinson. Cloudstreet – Part 1. FOXTEL – Showcase
Alex Dimitriades, winner of Best Lead Actor in a Television Drama, for his performance in THE SLAP.
AACTA Award for Best Television Drama Series
- East West 101, Season 3 – The Heroes’ Journey. Steve Knapman, Kris Wyld. SBS
AACTA Award for Best Telefeature, Mini Series or Short Run Series
- The Slap. Tony Ayres, Helen Bowden, Michael McMahon. ABC1
AACTA Award for Best Light Entertainment Television Series
- The Gruen Transfer, Series 4. Andrew Denton, Anita Jacoby, Jon Casimir. ABC1
AACTA Award for Best Direction in Television
- The Slap – Episode 3 ‘Harry’. Matthew Saville. ABC1
AACTA Award for Best Screenplay in Television
- The Slap – Episode 3 ‘Harry’. Brendan Cowell. ABC1
AACTA Award for Best LEAD ACTOR IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Alex Dimitriades. The Slap. ABC1
Sarah Snook, winner of Best Lead Actress in a Television Drama, for her perfomance in SISTERS OF WAR.
AACTA Award for Best LEAD ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Sarah Snook. Sisters Of War. ABC1
AACTA Award for Best Guest or Supporting Actor in a Television Drama
- Richard Cawthorne. Killing Time – Episode 2. FOXTEL – TV1
AACTA Award for Best Guest or Supporting Actress in a Television Drama
- Diana Glenn. The Slap – Episode 3 ‘Harry’. ABC1
SWITCHED ON AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD FOR BEST TELEVISION PROGRAM
- Packed To The Rafters. Seven Network
SWITCHED ON AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD FOR BEST PERFORMANCE IN A TELEVISION DRAMA
- Asher Keddie. Paper Giants: The Birth Of Cleo. ABC1
Cast and crew members from RED DOG, winner of the AACTA Award for Best Film.
SAMSUNG AACTA Award for Best FILM
- RED DOG. Nelson Woss, Julie Ryan.
AACTA Award for Best DIRECTION
AACTA Award for Best Original Screenplay
- Griff The Invisible. Leon Ford.
AACTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
Daniel Henshall, winner of Best Lead Actor for his performance in SNOWTOWN.
AACTA Award for Best LEAD ACTOR
- Daniel Henshall. Snowtown.
AACTA Award for Best LEAD Actress
- Judy Davis. The Eye Of The Storm.
AACTA Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Hugo Weaving. Oranges And Sunshine.
AACTA Award for Best Supporting ACTRESS
Judy Davis, Winner of Best Lead Actress, THE EYE OF THE STORM
Highlights of the AACTA International Awards Ceremony, held on 27 January in Los Angeles, were also screened at tonight’s event, with six winners announced across five categories:
AACTA International Award for Best Screenplay (Joint Winners)
· The Ides Of March. George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon
· Margin Call. J.C. Chandor
AACTA International Award for Best Direction
· The Artist. Michel Hazanavicius
AACTA International Award for Best Actor
· Jean Dujardin. The Artist
AACTA International Award for Best Actress
· Meryl Streep. The Iron Lady
AACTA International Award for Best Film
· The Artist. Thomas Langmann
AACTA congratulates all inaugural Samsung AACTA Award recipients.
Video highlights and photographs from the Ceremony will be available at www.aacta.org by the end of the week.